According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in 2010 4.2 million more people worked from home than a decade ago, and no, they’re not all stay-at-home moms. The typical telecommuter is a 49-year-old college graduate — man or woman — who earns about $58,000 a year and belongs to a company with more than 100 employees.
At TRC Global Mobility, many of the employees we relocate spend at least one day a week – often more – working from home. Some more facts from the Census Bureau:
- About one in 10 employees who worked exclusively from home was 65 or older in 2010.
- About a quarter of home-based workers were in management, business and financial occupations.
- Home-based workers in computer, engineering and science occupations increased by 69 percent between 2000 and 2010.
- Mondays and Fridays were the most popular days to work from home for those who work both at home and at another location.
- Metro areas in the Southeast, Southwest and West had the largest percentage of workers who worked from home.